Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ka-ching!

Children's Mercy Hospital (Adele's NICU hospital) sends a periodical "wish list" brochure to my office. I guess at one point someone here made a donation or volunteered and we were put on the mailing list. I always look at the brochure because they include stories from kids who were treated there. I don't expect to see anyone I know, but I still like reading the stories. Anyway, their wish list is a list of items, big and small, that are needed throughout the hospital. Some are every day items like toys and journals and backpacks for kids. The items I find most interesting are the high-dollar items, because it really drives home how much intervention is needed for preemies like Adele. Here's a rundown of the costs, according to the wish list, of the items that assisted Adele at some point during her stay.

  • Breast pump -- $1,200 (there were three on the NICU floor for 96(?) babies/nursing moms, and now I feel guilty for complaining that there weren't more available)
  • Infantometer -- $1498 (a combination scale/height measuring device)
  • Infusion pump -- $3,213 (delivers medication, fluids or food over several minutes or hours)
  • Cribs -- $3,405 (they didn't seem THAT fancy, but whatever...)
  • Transport monitor -- $5,400 (allows nurses to take patients to other areas of the hospital while still monitoring vitals)
  • Infant CPAP machine -- $9,500 (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure is the step between the ventilator and nasal cannuula)
  • Incubator -- $33,655 (!!!)
  • Critical care ventilator -- $40,000 (The machine that breathes for babies who can't do it themselves. Adele was on and off the vent for the first 2-3 weeks of her life.)

TOTAL -- $97,871

Of course, we were just "renting" the machines for a period of time, but still. It gives you a better idea of WHY it's so expensive it is to care for these little babies and how easy it is to rack up a million-dollar hospital bill in the blink of an eye. There was plenty of other equipment (not to mention medications, supplies, etc.) used during her three-month stay that I can't even begin to estimate the cost of. I wonder what the final bill was for her stay? Hmmm....maybe I should call to see if I can get an itemized record for her file.

Not sure what the point of this post is (ha ha), only that I thought this information was interesting!

On a completely unrelated note, I have an extra-long weekend starting tomorrow. Adele's daycare is closed Thur and Fri and then I have Monday off for MLK day. Adele and I decided to go visit G-ma and Papa Pontow for a few days. We'll come back Saturday morning and spend the rest of the weekend with Daddy since he also has a long weekend. Yay! Maybe if Gma and Papa are lucky, Adele will show off her new tantrum throwing skills! Ooooo...fun!

To all those who are experiencing this deep-freeze, stay warm! I'm ready for spring. :)

1 comment:

Lindi Ben said...

It's freezing here too! Burrr. I'm glad you have a long weekend so you can spend time w/ your folks and with Steve. Nice. Those costs for the equipment are astounding.