Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ow.

Well, it was bound to happen eventually, I suppose: Adele suffered her first daycare bang-up on Friday. She was crawling after some of the bigger kids, who were running around, and there was a collision that resulted in Adele banging her chin on the floor and biting her tongue. She's got a nice scrape on the underside of her chin and a slice on the front of her tongue. Those two little baby teeth she has are razor-sharp! By the time I picked her up, she was doing okay--they'd given her some Tylenol--but the tongue looked terrible, and I could tell she wasn't her usual happy self. Now, a few days later, she's just fine and the gash is much improved. It looks more like a canker sore now. Thank goodness the tongue heals so quickly! The chin scrape looks worse than it did on Friday, as it's scabbed over a bit, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

Oddly, there was a bit of fun news that came out of her mouth injury. G-Ma (she and Papa were here visiting for the weekend) and I spent a lot of time peeking into Adele's mouth so we could gauge how well the injury was healing, and all that peeking resulted in spying the next tooth that's about to sprout! It's a top tooth--her top right, to be exact--and you can just barely see the tip starting to poke through. I'm happy to see it because A) it's been a long time (late March) since her last tooth came in and I was starting to wonder when she'd get more and B) it explains why she's been SO FUSSY all week. I suspected teeth, but without visual proof it was mostly just me HOPING that was the cause of her fussiness.

In other news, we've begun the transition from bottle to cup and from formula to milk. I'm hoping that at her 15-month-actual/1-year-adjusted check-up next month we'll get the OK to drop formula and just stick with milk. We're still mixing her formula to 24 calories, but I hope we won't have to fortify her milk. We'll just have to see how much she weighs, I guess! She's eating well enough, I think, and she certainly feels heavy enough! I do admit to being nervous about trying to get a minimum of 16 oz milk in her via cup only. Yikes. Not sure how that will work, but I guess we'll get there eventually! Any tips from other moms out there?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

We're having that same problem....
Charlie hates sippy cups. I'm letting him have 3 bottles a day (6oz each), and hopefully we can transition to cups. UGH!
He has just now gotten the idea that he needs to eat more FOOD to make up for all that he used to drink. So he's been eating a ton at every meal now... I wasn't used to that!
Thanks for the offer of your fabulous skirt.. but right before you commented, I bought 2! One from Old Navy (glad to know they're good) and one from Motherhood Maternity.
If it was that comfy, I'd wear it anyway!
That was very kind of you to offer!!

M said...

awww, poor Adele! I am glad she is getting better though - and getting more chompers!

Lindi Ben said...

Ahh, poor Adele! It's always scary how much the tongue and face bleed, but because of that, they heal quickly, so that's good too. I'm glad her tongue wasn't hurt worse. Also, by saying "cup", do you mean sippy cup or a real cup? I'm impressed if the latter but I know Carina's daycare started her with tiny cups at first.