Friday, July 25, 2008

Spilt Milk

Remember this?



Unfortunately, most of that milk is STILL in that freezer, and I've made the heartbreaking decision that it's time to dump it. Some of it is more than a year old, and 12 months is the longest the experts recommend keeping frozen milk. Sad times for sure. Here's what I'll be dumping once it all thaws.


I did a very rough calculation and figured there's about 400 oz, which equals about 66 six-ounce bottles or 15 days' worth. Ugh, ugh, ugh. And if wasting breastmilk isn't heartbreaking enough, I noticed the time on one of the bottles was 5:30 am--all that time and energy down the drain, too! The good thing is that considering I have about that much still in the freezer that hasn't expired, I'm on a mission to use it before it spoils!

5 comments:

Kimberly (Anthony's Mom) said...

this makes me sad too! We work so hard for it and then just to throw it away. =-( You have done an awesome job with Adele though! She is thriving and healthy! And that is because of you!!

M said...

Wow - that is a lot of milk. Wow.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you have to dispose of the 'liquid gold'. I feel your pain and agony! At least Adele is taking what you have left that isn't expired.

Ellobie said...

Man. :(

Lindi Ben said...

Oh maaaaan. :( You need a funeral or something because that IS sad. No one knows that better than a mom. Excellent work nonetheless. You had to do it.