Thursday, May 7, 2009

Happy Birthday!

Happy 2nd birthday, Adele!

Today has been a great day. Adele went to daycare for the first half of the day--Renee was closing early today and all day tomorrow because of a family obligation, so I took this afternoon and all day tomorrow off. Anyway, after a nap (which allowed me just enough time to make a cake), we played outside in the new-to-us playhouse! She loves the one at daycare so I thought it would be a good gift for this birthday. However, I about fell over when I saw how much new ones cost. Luckily, we found someone at church who wanted to get rid of their playhouse, and we jumped on the opportunity to get one for free.

Anyway, after Steve got home from work, we opened gifts! She got something from of all the official gift groups--toys, clothes/pjs, books, money, gift cards--and I know more is on the way. Nope, she's not spoiled. ;) So far, her favorite gift has been the "magic" baby bottles, and naturally, they were also the cheapest gift. Well, aside from the free playhouse!


We topped off the day with homemade birthday cake! Yum! The candles and/or our singing (ha) scared her, so she wanted nothing to do with blowing out candles, but she did enjoy eating the cake.


Like I said, it was a good day. Had a different feel from last year, though. This year was so much more, well, normal. No anxiety. No bittersweet feelings. No overwhelming urge to finally exhale. I don't want to take anything away from today or imply that it wasn't an important day...and definitely not to say last year was a bad day (far from it!!). Just like last year was awesome because it was so significant, today was awesome because it was so NORMAL. Just a regular ol' kid celebrating a regular ol' birthday. Here's to many more like THIS.

Tomorrow we go see Dr. Murphy for the 2-year checkup, and it should be pretty easy. No shots, and since I don't have any concerns about Adele's development, I hope it will be all good news. I'm hoping Adele is officially, 100% "caught up" and that we can be done with Tiny-k. No more monthly questionaires, please! Unfortunately, we do have to make one last trip to CMH for a final neurodevelopmental screening. I had no idea we'd need to do this, but whatever. It's always nice to have the "experts" check her over. I'll report with stats after both appointments.

I'd planned on linking to an album of extra photos from today, but it's taking far too long to upload. I'll try to get that linked tomorrow sometime!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Adele! Hard to believe you're two already. Certainly looks like you celebrated in style!

Jen said...

Happy Happy Birthday! I'm so happy you experienced a 'normal' b-day day. :) Wait 2 more years. Lucas' 4th birthday was completely 'normal' and then when the anniversary dates came around (you know, take home day and then official due date day), I had all but completely forgotten those days meant more than a number on the calendar. I reflected on the fact that we have moved on, and that I didn't think about those days anymore. Now, that could be because we are trying to keep up with another human too! :) Happy day for all and we are so glad it was!
Jen

Lindi Ben said...

eeeek!!! I missed her birthday?!! How is that possible. Wow - TWO YEARS. There should be a party for you guys, too, right? Her new little house looks spacious.

Anonymous said...

She is so cute!! So glad to find another premie mommy!!!