Friday, May 1, 2009

No words

Today is not a day for eloquence. The most I can muster is "Thank you." "I'm so grateful." "I can't imagine." "I hope to God I never have to."

In December, I asked you to pray for Kayleigh Freeman. She recovered from that particular terrible moment and seemed to do much better for a while. She survived surgeries and overcame more hurdles. She came close to coming home a few times. Unfortunately, little Kayleigh is failing, and there's little to no hope for recovery. A large portion of her brain has ceased functioning and her parents are faced with the most difficult decision that any parent could ever have to make. My heart is breaking for them.

My heart breaks for another family who lost their dear Maddie unexpectedly. She was born premature too, but she was 17 months old when she passed.

I've tried writing the rest of this post several times and I keep erasing it. Words escape me.

Some days I love the internet--the days when I find an old friend on Facebook or when one of the parents on my Preemie Parenting board shows off the newest picture of their thriving child. There are other days when I curse how connected we all are, because if we weren't connected I wouldn't be crying about the losses of children I never met.

Adele turns 2 next week. May I never take our good fortune for granted.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh Darrah! Words escape me as well, as tears are streaming down my face. My prayers go out to ALL those families...I have followed Kayleigh's blog occasionally and...my heart is breaking into a million pieces. My god grant them the serenity and peace that they need right now........

Kimberly (Anthony's Mom) said...

We are just so lucky...... I guess thats why I can truly call Anthony my hero. I'm sure Adele is yours as well!

Kim

Lindi Ben said...

Oh my god, how terrible. I just can't imagine the human spirit can "get over" or recover from something like that. I guess people do - recover, that is. But that time is a long time off and I hope the very best for them. Like you said, there are no words.

mare mom said...

What a true test of our faith in God and how a parent could survive a child is just too hard to imagine. My prayers are with every parent facing such challenges. I remember Adeles journey so well and yes we are all blessed and fortunate; words somehow have no meaning at times like this.