Monday, November 5, 2007

Food Fight

Who would have thought that any daughter of MINE would be stubborn? Pshaw. It'll never happen.

We're still working with (and by "working with" I mean pulling our hair out in frustration) Adele and her feeding issues. She did OK over the weekend, but not stellar. Some meals she'd eat 4 or more ounces, other times we struggled to get 2 in . Doc Murphy decided after all to refer A for more testing, so we'll be heading up to CMH again to visit their Occupational/Speech Therapy clinic. The appointment isn't until December 6, so good thing this isn't, like, a really important deal or anything. Sigh. Anyway, we hope they can tell us if her suck is OK, and if not how we can improve it. Also, I'm starting to think Adele is developing some serious oral aversion issues (actually pretty common in preemies, I'm finding out, especially those who spent a lot of time on tube feeds AND had eating difficulties with the bottle. Hmmm...sound like anyone we know??), and that would explain the sudden refusal, disinterest, etc. The Tiny-K folks worked with her a little bit today and gave us a few suggestions for holds/positions, techniques that may help, although when I tried them this evening Adele was having none of it. Sigh. My main concern at this point is daycare. We've been able to average about 20 ounces a day (still well below her recommended minimum), but that's with either Steve or I feeding her, and giving her all our time and attention. I just don't know how things are going to go tomorrow, and I'm really concerned. I just hope she'll eat.

We have a weight check Wednesday morning, so I'll let you know how that goes. In the meantime, I'm going to eat the calories she should be eating, but only in the form of Fun Size Baby Ruth bars. It's a sacrifice, but I'll manage somehow.

1 comment:

Lindi Ben said...

For such a serious matter blog, it sure ends in a hilarious way. haha. I read the part about you eating the calories she should be eating to Ben. lol.

But man, I'm sorry to hear about the feeding issues. And I missed her 6 month bday! Oh my gosh! What a milestone!!!