Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A good day

Today was a good day. Lots to celebrate, lots to be thankful for. I won't lie--the day wasn't without some bittersweet feelings, and even a bit of anxiety thinking about last year at this time. I spent most of those first few weeks after Adele's birth in shock, I realize now, and I think it's finally wearing off. It's amazing how I can still feel that same tightness in my chest, the sadness and worry and dread, even with her sleeping in the next room. I'm sure it will be a long time before those feelings settle down.

It's been a long year, and yet at the same time it feels like only yesterday that we were scrubbing into the NICU and checking into the Ron McD's house. Getting up in the night to pump. Holding our breaths each time the phone rang. Rushing over to catch rounds. Endlessly watching monitors. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. But we made it though--all of us!

I created a couple of slideshows commemorating Adele's first year. I hadn't planned on doing two shows, but apparently you can only do 30 images in a slideshow, and I couldn't narrow things down that much!

Anyway, without further ado, I present

Adele's First Year: The NICU Days




Adele's First Year: At Home

4 comments:

Ellobie said...

Yay Adele!!!! :)

Kimberly (Anthony's Mom) said...

She is so beautiful and such a miracle. What a year! Give that little girl a kiss for me!

Kim

Lindi Ben said...

Oh my gosh, that first one made me tear up, Darrah. That is so great of you to make the slide shows. And it really reflects how many milestones she went through - so skinny, then fatter, the first time you held her, how she had wires attached even at home, then no wires, then even chubbier and smilier, etc, etc. Great slideshow. Congrats, Adele.

mare mom said...

Darrah- I remember when you first posted those pix, I felt so much sadness but more hope for your family b/c I just knew she would be ok, just time in telling. She makes me a believer that we can overcome anything ;p))) blessings to you and your family, she is such a little soldier!!
Mel