Monday, May 26, 2008

Tibits

It feels like forever since I've posted, but it's only been 2 weeks. We've been busier than usual, so maybe that's why it seems like more time has elapsed. Here's what's new and exciting in our world.

Our friends Kelly and Joelle came over last weekend (the 17th) and helped Steve install our new kitchen floor! It looks amazing, and so much better than the terrible floor that was there before. Steve and Kelly managed to get it all finished in one day, and then Steve and I spent one more day installing trim and quarter-round to finish off. We also got a new stove (nothing exciting, but better than the old one), and now we just need a new dishwasher to be done with the big stuff. We'll repaint in a few months (have to give the foundation work time to "settle" in case we need to do any patching) and finally be DONE with that room. Woo!

Memorial Day weekend I went to Beloit for a double-duty trip: I attended my 15-year (gasp!) class reunion and it was Mom/G-ma's birthday! Saturday was the main day for reunion activities, which consisted of a parade (complete with Class of '93 float) followed by a family picnic. The night's festivities included an adults-only dinner and barn party (complete with DJ and karaoke). It's a little hard for me to say this, but I actually had fun. We moved to Kansas when I was a sophomore, so I didn't bond with a ton of classmates (despite there being only 58 in our graduating class). I made some good friends and was friendly with about everyone, but it wasn't a"Remember back in Mrs. S0-and-so's first grade class?" sort of event for me. I must admit to a fair share of eye-rolling and cynicism prior to the first event, but I'm here to say I was wrong and that it was actually much more enjoyable than I'd thought it would be. I guess 15 years is just the right amount of time to want to see everyone again. My friend Julie, whom I've stayed in close contact with over the years, was there, and so were most of my other good friends, and that made it a good time. Anyway, I'm glad I went after all. Oh, and getting to show off Adele was worth the trip, if nothing else! Mom's birthday was Sunday, so after church we went to lunch and then A and I stayed and visited for a few hours. The plan was to leave mid-afternoon and make it back home around supper time. But the threat of bad weather and the fact that I was dog-tired enticed me to stay another night, and I'm glad I did. I don't get to Beloit often enough, and I was glad to have another evening to visit and relax.

As for Adele...she is unstoppable these days. She's crawling so fast now, and her new favorite game is when we act like we're chasing her, which prompts her to crawl as fast as she can, giggling and squealing the whole way. She'll do the same thing when she's chasing after the cat or dog, or making a beeline for the dog's water dish. We're forever trying to keep her out of that! She's also perfected the feat of pulling up to standing. She can now reach up to turn her crib mobile on and off, and will pull herself to standing using my legs when I'm standing up. I have a feeling cruising isn't too far off!

She's been eating well, and we've been implementing some of the feeding therapy plans we've received. Mostly they include providing plenty of stuff for her to chew on all the time and especially prior to feedings to help wake up her mouth before she eats. Did you know Slim Jims were considered a good food for therapy? Hm, yeah. Not sure that will be on our grocery list soon, but it was on the list of "good" foods. (Something to do with the flavor and saltiness helping to stimulate the nerves/palate.) We were notified that our insurance will cover some of the costs of Simply Thick, a gel thickener (and better than the powder we've always used). It will be better to use that kind when we start giving her more water and juices and things that need a more refined thickener. The gel won't be grainy and icky like the powdered stuff is. I'm sure SHE wouldn't care either way, but I couldn't stand to look at it using the powdered thickener. Yuck. I'm having enough trouble already thinking about thickened water without having it be cloudy and grainy too!

I guess that's about it for now. Here are a few photos!

Her new favorite toy, because she can stand up and play with it! (Check out the "Jolly Jill" Baby Legs legwarmers, a gift from Lindi!)
Kitchen before 1 (the strip of concrete is a result of the foundation work--it hasn't always been there!)
Kitchen before 2
Kitchen after 1: AAAAAHHHHH! So much better!
Kitchen after 2

2 comments:

Ellobie said...

Wow, that really is a huge difference! yay!

And Adele is super adorable in her pirate "pants." :D I can't wait to see video of her walking around!

Unknown said...

How do I get so behind in your blog?! So much to comment on. First of all, eeeeee!!!! She is SO darn cute, Darrah? And she's speed crawling and pulling herself up and standing...? WOW. What a freakin' cutie.