Friday, August 8, 2008

One year adjusted!

Today Adele is one-year-old adjusted (15 months actual, as of yesterday!). She had her Early Intervention assessment today and scored right on for her adjusted age (which is all anyone cares about). She's right on track as far as doing what "normal" 12-month-olds should do! She says a few words, points, knows who Mommy and Daddy are, plays appropriately with toys, cruises well (and has even stood alone for a few seconds a couple of times), is great at feeding herself, etc. She's absolutely perfect those areas. In fact, there wasn't anything they told us we should be concerned about, which is great. We'll see how she does at the "official" screening in September (at Children's Mercy), but honestly, I'm totally not worried. She has a doc appt in town next week, and I'm hoping that with this assessment in hand, we can stop Early Intervention altogether. We might end up doing a program called Ages and Stages, which is a little less intensive and requires meetings only once every three months. I really look forward to not having these twice-monthly appointments!

We'll finish off what we're hoping is her last can of formula today, as we expect to transition her milk fully after next week's doc appt. In the meantime, we're giving her the non-expired breastmilk and that is going really well. She's been eating it exclusively at daycare for about two weeks, and I gave her an 8oz bottle today (I'm home with her since daycare is closed) and she ate it like a champ! Of course, we also plan to drop the bottle soon, but we might have to keep one or two a day until the breastmilk is gone. Still not sure how one goes about weaning off the bottle--if it's gradual or cold-turkey--but I don't have many concerns about it being too difficult. She's never been that attached to her bottles (and there were plenty of times when she could take or leave them!) so I hope we can just let them go and never look back! It's weird to think about suddenly NOT making bottles 3-4 times a day, and we'll have to figure out new ways to get our snuggle times in. I also worry about her getting enough regular milk in during the day, but I'm sure that will come with time. I am NOT worried about her getting enough calories, however, as the girl will eat ANYTHING. Any fruit, veggie, bean, grain, pasta, cheese, meat (well, all she's had is chicken, but she liked it) is a hit with her. Thank goodness for that!

So, I guess you could say things are going really well! I'll know more after next week's appointment, but again, I'm so not worried about anything that I'm sure it will all go fine!

In unrelated news, I am SO excited for the Olympics to start tonight! I have the DVR set to record the opening ceremonies in case we're busy with dinner or bedtime when everything starts. I need to get on NBC's website and check out the schedule so I don't miss anything major.

I guess that's about it from here!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Way to go Adele!!! We haven't been doing EI for awhile now.. just because with us moving.. and to be honest the experience was very underwhelming anyway. They only sent out a social worker.. they kept saying they were going to send an OT, but they never did. So what's the point? The social worker really didn't know anything.
Anyway, good luck with the bottle weaning... and great news about the breastmilk. Charlie will NOT give up the bottle. We're really trying...

Lindi Ben said...

Oh wow, it's so good to hear all these things. One year adjusted. Wow. I'm glad she's a good eater and drinking the breastmilk. That's awesome.

Ellobie said...

Happy Birthishday Adele!